A collaborative project of Colorado visual, literary, and musical artists in 2015-2016
Shared Visions brings together Colorado artists in a unique way, building a community of artistic inspiration and culminating in a performance of new music by Ars Nova Singers. The project consists of four stages:
STAGE ONE – Visual art. Seven Colorado visual artists were invited to submit works; the 23 selected works were gathered into an on-line gallery.
STAGE TWO – Poetry. Colorado writers and poets were invited to view the visual art and selected one or more pieces as the basis for new poetry. The poetry submitted has been assembled into an anthology.
STAGE THREE – Music. Three Colorado composers have been commissioned to use the anthology and the related visual work as the basis for composing new music for chorus.
STAGE FOUR – Performance. Ars Nova Singers will rehearse and prepare the new music for performance in April 2016. The artists, writers, and composers will be invited to join the performers and speak with the audience about their work, the creative process, and their shared inspiration.
PROJECT TIME LINE:
March 2015 to June 2015 Submission of visual art; artists announced; links to visual works posted.
June 2015 to September 2015 Submission of literary art; gathering of works into an anthology.
September 1, 2015 Deadline for submission of poetry / lyrics.
September 2015 to April 2016 Composers access the anthology; music written and rehearsed.
April 29, 2016 Denver performance at Hamilton Hall, DU campus.
April 30, 2016 Boulder performance at St. John's Episcopal Church (includes pre-concert talk)
- All artwork created or utilized during this project remains the property of the artist.
- Visual artists and poets whose work is selected for performance agree to allow their work to be reproduced in advertising materials and concert programs.
- Composers will have full rights to all future live performances of their commissioned pieces, in perpetuity. A separate agreement between each writer and composer would be negotiated in the event composers wish to commercially publish their compositions.
INCENTIVES TO PARTICIPATE:
- Visual artists and poets whose works are selected by composers as the basis for their compositions will be paid honoraria of at least $400 each (more, if a planned crowd-funding project will allow). Please note the italicized phrase above: honoraria will not be paid for every work submitted, but only for works that are used by the composers in the Stage Four new choral works.
- Opportunity to connect with new audiences, colleagues, and collaborators.
- Recognition at the Ars Nova concerts in April 2016 and in publicity (brochures, mailings, press releases, e-mail marketing messages) during Ars Nova Singers' 30th anniversary season.
Thomas Edward Morgan, Artistic Director, Ars Nova Singers